This post contains an affiliate link. If you purchase an item from the link below, I receive a small commission from it.
If you’ve missed it, we are on vacation this week! We are enjoying lots of family time, sunshine, and, of course, delicious food! I am all about enjoying a different change of pace and kinds of foods on vacation, but it is nice to have a couple meals a day where you eat within your normal routine. This way it isn’t too big of a jump when you head back into “real life.”
One of the ways I knew I could do this was for breakfast. It turns out, our hotel doesn’t have continental breakfast, so we either needed to bring our own items for breakfast or eat out every morning. There also was just a mini fridge in the room, so there isn’t a ton of space for storing food. I knew I wanted to bring along something portable, easy to store, macro friendly, and delicious, so I could start my day on a light note.
So I decided to make overnight oats! They fit the bill perfectly because they are easily portable since they are prepared in mason jars (I got mine from amazon). They can be prepared ahead of time and taken out of the fridge when you need them (store them for up to 5 days even!). I do have another overnight oat recipe on my blog, but I wanted to amp up the protein a bit with some protein powder to get a jump start on that macro nutrient. It would be harder to do at a classic continental breakfast! Best of all, you can customize your toppings to fit whatever you’re in the mood for. Since I used a chocolate and peanut butter protein powder, I topped it off with some drizzled PB2. Mini chocolate chips would have been great, too, but I was out! I also added some strawberries for a fresh element, and I loved how they tasted in these oats! Tastes like dessert for breakfast, and that is always the route I’d choose! Macros for one jar, without toppings, are 4F/20C/24P, or 210 calories, so that will give you plenty of room for delicious treats later on! But don’t just think this is for breakfast! This would also make a great grab and go snack or a macro cap at the end of the day.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- 20 g Old Fashioned Oats
- 85 g Non Fat Greek Yogurt
- 75-100 ml Almond Milk (Depending on how thick you want your oats to be. I start with 75 ml, and then usually add some more almond milk before serving. Note: the macros are calculated for 75ml)
- 15 g ISO 100 Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Powder (Another protein powder may be used, but it may change the flavor and/or macro nutrients. See note about what to do with the protein powder if wanting to eat the oats hot!)
- 4 g chia seeds
- Combine all ingredients into a mason jar. Seal and place in the refrigerator for a few hours, preferably over night, and up to 5 days.
- When you are ready to enjoy it, take it out the refrigerator, give it a good stir and add more almond milk to reach desired consistency. Add additional toppings like peanut butter, chocolate chips, fruit, cereal, etc. to add more texture and flavor!
- NOTE: If you would like your oats to be hot, reserve the protein powder from the overnight ingredients. When ready to enjoy, make sure you remove your lid to the mason jar (remove any metal), and head the container in 30 second increments. Give it a good stir after each increment, and repeat until desired temperature. One minute should be enough. Then stir in 15 g of protein powder and add almond milk to thin it out as desired. Don’t forget about the toppings!