It’s summertime over here! And you know what that means? My kids always, always want a snack! HA! Seriously, it seems as if I’m always pulling out something for them to munch on. Today I’m sharing something a little different that is a great way to help your kids get in some fruit – a brownie batter dessert hummus, modified slightly from this recipe from Allrecipes.com.
Now the idea of hummus as a dessert might sound icky, but I promise it is not. You can’t taste the garbanzo beans, and it tastes exactly like you’re licking a brownie batter bowl. My kids were all over it, and they loved dunking strawberries, apples, bananas, graham crackers, and pretzels in it. But, the options for dipping are limitless! I’m thinking this would also be great for mamas to eat with fruit, serve on oatmeal/yogurt, or as a quick bite to help with that sweet tooth. This is a recipe that would probably work well to slash even more calories by using a sugar substitute. But, I don’t like them usually, so I opted to use real sugar. Even so, the macros are workable, especially when you compare them to a traditional nut butter or chocolate spread!
Brownie Batter Dessert Hummus
- 1 15 oz can Garbonzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 50 g cocoa powder (1/2 cup)
- 100 g sugar, or sugar substitute if desired (1/2 cup)
- 45 g unsweetened applesauce
- 45 g peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tablespoons water (plus additional 1-2 tablespoon as desired)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blender, then blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Add additional water a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. Serve with fruit, pretzels, graham crackers, the possibilities are endless!