Ever since we had pineapple on our tacos in Mexico, I couldn’t stop thinking about them! There was something so unique about that sweet taste on a taco, especially when paired with a spicy salsa! So, I recreated them at home to be a bit more macro friendly, just in time for Cinco de Mayo. My husband was absolutely over the moon about them and was so excited when I made them again this past week.
If you look at the recipe below, you might start to think it looks like too many steps or ingredients, but I can assure you that they come together really quickly. Some of the steps you can leave out if you are pinched for time, like grilling the pineapple and tortillas, but I think the grill gives them some extra flavor. Another short cut I take is using the Mojito Lime Marinade Packets from McCormick Grill Mates to marinade the chicken in. This marinade gives the chicken great flavor and add minimal macros since there is no oil involved.
This recipe can be customized to fit whatever macro nutrients you have left. If you don’t have many carbs? Skip the tortillas and make a salad (equally delicious, especially with the crema as the dressing!). Not many fats? Skip the avocado or hold back on it a bit. Need more protein? Add more chicken! The list goes on. The macros calculated below are for 3 tacos with 4 oz of cooked chicken, 30 g of Jalapeño Cilantro Crema, 50 g of pineapple, 20 g of avocado, and 20 g of pickled red onions. I personally do not count the macros for the cilantro because the calories are so minimal.
Pineapple Chicken Tacos with Jalapeño Cilantro Crema
Mojito Lime Chicken
- 1 packet McCormick Grill Mates Mojito Lime Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 Chicken Breasts (Choose however many you'd like. Leftovers are great, too!)
- 12 tortillas (I used Romero's corn tortillas which have 32 calories per tortilla. You can choose whatever your preference is, but it may change the macro count)
- pickled red onions, to taste
- 1 pineapple, with skin and core removed. (should be in 4 chunks)
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 Avocados, sliced
- 2 Limes, sliced
Jalapeno Cilantro Crema
- 54 g Jalapeño (WITH seeds, unless you do not want this to be spicy. Then seed it!)
- 8 g fresh Cilantro
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- 240 g light sour cream (1 cup)
- milk, to reach desired consistency (I used 50 g)
Mojita Lime Chicken
- Combine seasoning packet with 2 tablespoons of water and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Place marinade in an airtight bag or container with chicken breasts and allow to marinade for 4 hours or longer.
- Grill chicken over medium/high heat until cooked through.
Jalapeño Cilantro Crema
- In a blender combine the jalapeño, cilantro, and lime juice until completely smooth. Fold in the jalapeño mixture into the cup of sour cream. For maximum flavor, allow the sour cream to sit in the refrigerator for an hour so the flavors can blend. Before serving, add milk to reach desired thinness. I used about 50 g of milk, but start with less and see if you need to add more. You may need add more milk if you use the crema for leftovers later.
- Chop pickled red onions, cilantro, avocados, and limes as desired, set aside.
- When you are about 10 minutes out from serving or the chicken being done, grill pineapple and tortillas over medium heat until char marks start to form. Then flip them over and char the other side. This takes a couple minutes on each side, depending on the heat of your girll.
- Once pineapple has been grilled, chop pineapple into bite sized pieces.
Assembly for Macros Listed Below
- Take 3 tortillas and spread out 4 oz of chicken between them. Top with 50 g of pineapple, 20 g of avocado, 20 g of pickled red onions, and cilantro spread out between the 3 tacos. Then, drizzle 30 g of crema between the three. Squeeze some lime over prepared tacos, if desired. Enjoy!!