Taco night is always a hit at our house! Sometimes, though, it can get a little dull with the same old taco seasoning. So I like to add in a bit of variety every now and then. This crockpot creamy salsa verde chicken delivers on flavor and ease. Plus, you can use this meat to create a variety of dishes to please your family. And probably most important, it has amazing macros! But before we get into that, let’s talk about the recipe.
To make this dish you’ll need the following items:
- Chicken: I used the frozen chicken breasts from Costco. I always keep a bag of this chicken on hand for quick meals like this one. I throw mine into the crockpot frozen. The less I have to touch raw chicken the better! If you don’t use frozen chicken breast for this recipe, you may have to adjust your cook time (it will cook faster).
- Chicken Stock: This is what you’ll cook the chicken in. I always cook my chicken breasts in chicken stock to give it a little bit more flavor. To create my stock, I use the bouillon granules but choose your preference.
- Salsa Verde: Any jar of your favorite salsa verde will do. We like to use medium heat for a little kick, but mild also works. This recipe requires about half a jar, so you will have some leftover to use for topping your dishes if you’d like!
- Spices: To add additional flavor to this chicken, you’ll add some cumin, oregano, and some salt, to taste.
- Non-Fat Greek Yogurt: This adds the creamy element to the dish, but doesn’t add any fat. This helps keep this dish SUPER macro-friendly.
- Cilantro: I love the fresh element cilantro adds, and I am a big fan of its flavor. Apparently, there are people out there who can’t stand cilantro (it is beyond my comprehension!). If that’s you, you can definitely omit this, and the chicken will still taste great.
Because this recipe is made with such light ingredients, it yields killer macros. For 1/8 of the recipe (mine was around 105 g), it is 1F/3C/23P. That leaves plenty of room for you to add your favorite toppings and touches to knock it out of the park.
It also is perfect for a meal where you want to have something flavorful without costing you many macros. I’m thinking this would be great for lunch during the holiday season when you want to save some room for other fun treats. Just this past weekend I enjoyed it for lunch to save room for a fun dinner out with friends. The best part was, I didn’t feel like I was sacrificing too much because it was so delicious!
I have a few different ways that you could use this recipe.
- Taco Salad: This is probably my go-to because it is super light and leaves room for plenty of toppings! I like to start with a big bed of romaine lettuce. More lettuce = more volume and a fuller belly! I then like to top mine with salsa verde chicken, non-fat refried beans, avocado, light sour cream, and salsa. Sometimes if I have some room I’ll add cheese, too, but it totally depends!
- Tacos: Prepare similar toppings above but wrap them up in a tortilla. I usually choose to purchase two different types of tortillas for my family. My kids like to eat flour tortillas best, while my husband and I usually go for the extra-thin corn tortillas. They have pretty great macros, and then you get to have three tacos instead of one! Another option would be to eat your tacos in a lavash bread or even Joseph’s pita bread for even better macros.
- Quesadillas: This is probably my kids’ favorite version. To make it more macro-friendly, use portion control when it comes to the cheese and a lighter tortilla.
- Crunch Wrap: This meat would be delicious tucked into a lavash bread. Add your favorite taco toppings and get ready for a protein-packed meal.
- Nachos: For the kids, we serve theirs with traditional tortilla chips, but my husband and I like to make our own out of lavash wraps. You can find a tutorial here.
Crockpot Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken
- 2 lbs raw chicken breast, frozen (907 g)
- 1 cup chicken stock (or 1 cup water + 1 tsp chicken bouillon granules)
- 250 g salsa verde (about 1/2 of a 16 ounce jar)
- 100 g Non-fat Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 tsp cumin, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp oregano, or more to taste
- 6 g fresh cilantro, or to taste
- salt, to taste
- In a slow cooker, add in the frozen chicken breast and 1 cup of chicken stock. Cook on high for 4 hours or until the chicken breast easily shreds.
- Removed chicken from the crockpot and transfer to a medium bowl. Shred chicken completely and then add in salsa verde, greek yogurt, cilantro, cumin, and salt, to taste. Mix well and then serve as desired!