Lately it seems I can’t get enough of basil! There is something about it that is so fresh and summery, and I love the wonderful aroma it gives off too. Of course, I keep basil on hand most weeks so I can make my Skinny Pesto Ranch, but this week I had extra, so I decided to use some fresh leaves in this yummy panini!
The “bread” of this panini is the mini lavash wraps that I got from Costco recently. You could also use any bread of your choice (I’m thinking sourdough would be especially yummy!), or even make this panini into a crunch wrap. For the spread on the bread, I used my Skinny Pesto Ranch to give some moisture and extra basil flavor. Then I piled it with a couple of ounces of shredded chicken (you could use more if you need more protein), chopped baby tomatoes, and a few leaves of fresh basil. Then I sprinkled on some mozzarella cheese.
As far as the actual cooking goes, there are a couple of different options. If you have a panini maker, that would be ideal. But you can also use a waffle maker if you want, or even just a hot pan like I did. I have used both of the latter, and they work great!
Probably my favorite part of this lunch is how satisfying it is for so few macros! Just 8f/23c/31p for the whole sandwich. I hope you’ll add this to your new lunch or dinner rotation soon. I promise you won’t regret it!
Chicken, Basil, & Tomato Panini
- 2 mini lavash wraps (or similar large lavash wraps or bread, if you desire. May change macro count)
- 15 g Skinny Pesto Ranch (see link above)
- 2 oz cooked chicken, shredded
- 50 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 5 g fresh Basil leaves, chopped
- 28 g mozzarella cheese
- Preheat a pan to medium high heat, or heat a panini grill or waffle maker. Spray surface with nonstick cooking spray.
- Begin assembling panini. Place 15g of Skinny Pesto ranch on one mini lavash bread. Then layer on chicken breast, cherry tomatoes, and basil. Evenly distribute these ingredients along the bread. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over the top and then put other lavash bread on top.
- Move panini onto the cooking surface. If using a pan, cook until the bottom is golden brown and crispy and then flip. Continue to cook other side until golden brown, crispy, and the cheese has melted. If using a panini or waffle maker, cook until both sides are brown, crispy, and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from cooking pan, cut, and enjoy!