Rice Krispies are a treat that pretty much everyone remembers from their childhood! Growing up, my mom made them, too, and I soon grew to love them. There are probably a million different ways I’ve heard of people making these bars, but I think my mom’s are the best. Now the Rice Krispie part isn’t anything that different from anyone else’s bars (in fact the recipe is the same one on cereal boxes!), but my mom never made Rice Krispie treats without adding a chocolate peanut butter layer in the middle. Now, I’m ruined and I won’t eat these treats any other way!
We made a batch this past week, and I remembered how GOOD they really are. For our family they work great for everyone who has an allergy (I have an egg allergy and my nieces have Celiac disease). They also are super easy to make and are perfect for baking with your kids. Plus, no need to turn the oven on! In fact, you don’t even need a stove stop, because I made this recipe entirely in the microwave. The macros aren’t too shabby either. For one bar (1/24 of a 9X13) you’ll need to spare 7f/28c/2p. Totally workable into any given day.
My Mom's Rice Krispie Bars
- 6 tablespoons butter (84 g)
- 15 ounces mini marshmallows
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 9 cups Rice Krispies, or similar off brand cereal (about 246 g)
- 150 g chocolate chips
- 128 g peanut butter
- Spray a 9X13 with cooking spray and set aside.
Rice Krispie Bars
- In a microwave safe bowl, place 3 tablespoons of butter and 7.5 ounces of marshmallows. Microwave in 30 second increments, giving a stir after every 30 seconds, until the butter and marshmallows are completely melted and smoothly combined (it took me three 30 second intervals). Then stir in 1 tsp of vanilla.
- To the marshmallow/butter mixture, add half of the Rice Krispies (about 124 g) and stir until all the cereal is coated in the marshmallow mixture. When finished, press marshmallows into the prepared 9X13 pan. Tip: Spray a piece of wax paper with cooking spray and use it to press in cereal mixture to avoid getting sticky hands!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Layer
- In another microwaveable bowl, place chocolate chips and peanut butter together and microwave for 30 second intervals, giving a good stir after each interval, until the mixture is completely melted and smooth. Pour the peanut butter/chocolate evenly over the first layer of Rice Krispie bar.
Second Rice Krispie Layer
- Then, repeat the steps for making the Rice Krispie bars with remaining ingredients. Press the marshmallow/Rice Krispie mixture evenly over the peanut butter/chocolate layer.
- Cut pan in to 24 equal squares. Enjoy!